Month 2 (August 2012)

I started researching terrain collision detection.  It turns out this is not easy.  I created a class that took the mesh data of models passed through and checked to see if they collided with my player object.  My end result was so bad that I realized it would need some heavy tweaking, smoothing, and so on in order for it to be presentable.  I wanted to release a game sometime this decade, so I researched if there was anything decent available already.  I eventually arrived at the Sunburn Framework which is used with and compatible with a physics engine called “BEPU”.

I also spent much of the month researching alternatives to XNA.  It dawned on me that XNA has been “dead” for about two years and Microsoft isn’t talking about its future.  I spent time learning the ins and outs of engines like OGRE and one promising game engine called Delta Engine.  It looked great and I was willing to order a license.  However, the code hadn’t been updated for quite some time and there was literally no documentation and community support for it.  They had a new version release date of September, but it came and went and the next release date was moved to November.  If I was an experienced game programmer a year into designing and coding 3D games I might have gone for it anyway, but I’m not, so I didn’t!

In any case, the general consensus is that XNA is going to morph into Windows Metro.  It’s also strongly hinted that the community is close to modernizing XNA on its own. I took the chance and decided to keep the project XNA through its entire life regardless of the consequences.

This entry was posted in Game Development. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s